The Doctor of Philosophy (Humanities) programme offers interdisciplinary courses in Religion; Languages; History & Archaeology; Philosophy & Ethics, with a focus on major aspects of the Asian traditions. The programme aims to produce students who are able to synthesise knowledge and contribute to original research that broadens the frontier of knowledge in Humanities; display leadership qualities through communicating and working effectively with peers and stakeholders; and appraise problems in Humanities critically using scientific skills. This programme is offered by Asia e University, a multinational and dual-mode university recognised by 34 member countries of the Asia Cooperation Dialogue (ACD).
- The programme is approved by Malaysian Ministry of Higher Education and accredited by Malaysian Qualifications Agency.
- No proposal is needed at point of entry
- Transfer of candidature is possible
- Supervised by local or international supervisor that is suitable for research area
- Supported by research workshops, colloquia and clinics
- Close monitoring by the School of Graduate Studies
- Possess a recognised Master's degree in the relevant field, OR
- Other qualifications recognised by the AeU Senate
- Master's degree of relevant field
- A curriculum vitae (CV) or resume
- A Statement of research intent, describing what you have already done and what you hope to accomplish in your doctoral research. This is your preliminary research intent or research proposal. You may be required to attend an interview in some cases.
- For thesis written in English, there will be an English language competency requirement equivalent to International English Language Testing System (IELTS) 6.5 or Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) 550 or AeU English Placement test. Those who have their tertiary education in English shall normally be exempted from the requirement.
|Modes of Study||
|No. of Semesters||12 (1 semester is 4 mths)|
|Frequency of Research Workshops / Colloquia (Optional)||Once a month – Saturday & Sunday|
|Supervisor||Provided by AeU|
|Audit Subjects (Optional)||
|EPF & HRDF Claimable (Malaysians Only)||YES|
- Provide opportunities for students to engage in academic research, which will provide them skills in problem solving, systematic analysis, communication and collaboration.
- Encourage students to be original, independent and critical thinkers, with the ability to develop theoretical concepts.
- Enhance students’ capabilities in providing innovative solutions to issues faced in career development and growth.
- Encourage students to demonstrate awareness of issues and recent advances in chosen fields.
|Stage 1||Proposal Development|
|Stage 2||Data Collection|
|Stage 3||Report Writing|
|Stage 4||Thesis Examination/Viva Voce|
Required Skills for PhD Students by Research
Be independent: This is a learner-centred Master’s programme that requires students to conduct their research independently, with approved supervisory assistance as needed and in compliance with university’s stipulated guidelines to complete all required phases/stages.
Be tenacious: This research based thesis may takes up to 3 years, but students must be committed to complete the programme within stipulated time if without penalty.
Be effective in time management: Students need to prioritise and manage tasks effectively to ensure completion of one task before moving on to the next. Goal-focus and consistency are essential to achieving commitment-success.
Adapt to challenges: Invariably, students may face obstacles and challenges in completing their research, but they must be flexible and resolute to overcome difficulties immediately.
Communicate effectively: To earn recognition as a serious master student and a researcher, students must be confident in delivering the Research Proposal Defense, Viva Voce and completed thesis on time and effectively.
- National Languages
- Other languages
- History & Archeology
- Philosophy & Ethics
- History, Philosophy & Related Subjects
- Research Methodology
- Quantitative Data Analysis
- Qualitative Data Analysis
For Malaysian and International students:
- Merit Scholarship available for top-performing students
- 10% discount on tuition fee available through student loyalty scheme
For Malaysian students only:
- 10% discount on tuition fee for full payment of semester fees
- 50% discount on tuition fee for senior citizens who are 55 years of age & above
- 75% discount on tuition fee for the disabled
- EPF withdrawal assistance
- RM7,000 personal incaome tax relief
Terms and conditions apply
Programme: Doctor of Philosophy (Arts)
Musa Mohd Nor
Programme: Doctor of Philosophy (Arts)
Last updated: 28/12/16